BY: Nicole Kleinsteuber
Brighton Speedway’s final Fan Appreciation Night of the 55th season hosted a full grandstand with 85 cars dialed in for a thriller on the dirt oval Saturday night.
The night presented by Vanderlaan Building Products featured the Late Models, Canadian Modifieds, Thunder Stocks, Mini Stocks, Comp 4’s and Mini Vans.
During intermission, drivers took over the front stretch allowing fans to meet them, take pictures, plus get autographs and treats.
Sandercock scores double win
No. 57 Charlie Sandercock and No. 55 Bradley Rayner led the field of 10 Vanderlaan Building Product Late Models to green in the 30-lap main event. Determined to end a two-month drought at Brighton, Sandercock put the hammer down at the drop of the green flag. Rayner stayed with him throwing a slide job that made contact with the 57 to snap up the lead. Sandercock drove with a vengeance and when lap traffic proved problematic, the 57 slid down low to take the lead back. When the checkers fell, Sandercock sailed to victory lane picking up his second win of the night after a solid heat win. No. 5 Steve Baldwin came in second, No. 11 Kyle Sopaz third, Rayner fourth and No. 87 Andrew Hennessy fifth.
Gregory guns it to winner’s circle
After a successful heat win, No. 1 Shawn Gregory wasted little time scoring the lead from his fourth starting position in the 25-lap Bainer’s OilGARD AntiRust Canadian Modified feature. Gregory was hooked up and unstoppable as No. 32 Doug O’Blenis tried to reel him in. Gregory sent his No. 1 machine to victory lane for the fourth time this season with O’Blenis as runner-up. No. 52 Kraig Handley subbing for Doug Galt was third, No. 40 Ron Wadforth fourth and No.3 Nathan Rinaldi charged his way from 16th to finish fifth.
Brock Gregory goes hard to VL
No. 03 Justin Ramsay was a man on a mission as he muscled his way through the field from eighth to first in the Brighton Automotive Thunder Stock 20-lap main event. Ramsay took it three-wide sliding in between No. 9 Josh Black and No. 85 Austin Reid for the lead. It looked like Ramsay was well on his way to scoring a three-peat – his seventh of the season when a caution slowed the pace with two laps to go. It was a shootout to the finish and with less than a second to go, No. 1 Brock Gregory stormed past Ramsay putting him into the wall on the front stretch for the double win. Ramsay took home runner-up with Reid in third, No. 0 Tyler French fourth and Black fifth.
Abrams sails to second victory
Following his stellar heat win, No. 96 Cole Abrams was laser focused on parking it in the Bill’s Johns Mini Stock 15-lap feature. Abrams battled it out back and forth with No. 4 Chris Tufford in an exciting chase for the checkers. Abrams cruised to victory lane with No. 18 Carter Rhodes in second, Tufford third, No.12 Caleb Severn fourth and No. 25 Lawrence Evenden fifth.
Ladouceur earns Brighton win
No. 21L Skylar Ladouceur took the field of 12 Bill’s Johns Comp 4’s to green in the 15-lap affair. The driver from Cornwall was the car to beat as No. 44 Tommy Bailey and No. 42JR Aiden Fletcher tried to hunt him down. Ladouceur floored it to the winner’s circle picking up a double win on the night. Bailey placed second, Fletcher third, No. 17E Emily Peterson fourth and No. 19 Shannon White fifth.
MacGregor a Minivan machine
It only took No. 19 Del MacGregor three laps to score the lead from his ninth starting position in the Gord’s Water Vantastics 12-lap main. With his brave passenger Cindy LeClair by his side, MacGregor drove that minivan like he stole it all the way to victory lane. No. 44 Tom Grant was second, No. 98 Jack Juby third, No. 01 Cody Juby fourth and No. 4H Gary MacLean fifth.
August 20th, 2022 Feature Results
Vanderlaan Building Products Late Model
1. 57 Charlie Sandercock, 2. 5 Steve Baldwin, 3. 11 Kyle Sopaz, 4. 55 Brad Rayner, 5. 87 Andrew Hennessy, 6. 46 Brandon Mowat, 7. 21 Rich Sanders, 8. 77j James Seymour, 9. 92 Adam Turner, 10. 1 Eli Mayhew
Bainer’s OilGARD Anti Rust Canadian Modified
1. 1 Shawn Gregory, 2. 32 Doug O’Blenis, 3. 52 Doug Galt SUB KRAIG HANDLEY, 4. 40 Ron Wadforth, 5. 3 Nathan Rinaldi, 6. 50 Dylan Boyle, 7. 48 Derrick Greig, 8. 5 Wally Alderdice, 9. 33 Carissa Burrows, 10. 53
Wade Purchase, 11. 9 Dan Price, 12. 51 Mike Freeman, 13. 14m Matthew Moore, 14. 56 Pat McEvoy, 15. 4 Tom Swerbrick, 16. 41 Corey Halbert SUB ANDREW HENNESSY
Brighton Automotive Thunder Stock
1. 1 Brock Gregory, 2. 3 Justin Ramsay, 3. 85 Austin Reid, 4. 0 Tyler French, 5. 9 Josh Black, 6. 72 Doug Anderson, 7. 18 Kyle Anderson, 8. 74 Mike Lucas, 9. 1 Kyle Gregory SUB BRANDON GREGORY, 10. 16 Kaitlyn O’Blenis, 11. 14 Chris Dorland, 12. 28 Cole McKeown SUB ZEKE MCKEOWN, 13. 7 Ricky Phillips, 14. 97 Dave Barrett, 15. 27 Torri Pope, 16. 17 Jeff Humphry, 17. 19 Cory White, 18. 77 Adrian Hancock, 19. 87 James Turgeon
Bill’s Johns Mini Stock
1. 96 Cole Abrams, 2. 18 Carter Rhodes, 3. 4 Chris Tufford, 4. 12 Caleb Severin, 5. 25 Lawrence Evenden, 6. 95 Chris Lammle, 7. 7 Anthony Rinaldi, 8. 54 Tim Moore, 9. 72 Austin South, 10. 17e Evan Minnie, 11. 88 Mike Beaudrie, 12. 71 Alesha Gerrard, 13. 17JR Ethan Humphry, 14. 1b Bailey Ferrill, 15. 22 Tyson Gregory
Bill’s Johns Comp 4
1. 21L Skylar Ladouceur, 2. 44 Tommy Bailey, 3. 42JR Aidan Fletcher, 4. 17e Emily Wood-Peterson, 5. 19 Shannon White, 6. 15 Josh Bogaard, 7. 85 Brittany Golden, 8. 33 Adam Milton, 9. 16 Dawson Evans, 10. 85j Jordan Monaghan, 11. 43 Devon Kippen
Vanderlaan Building Products hosted an action-packed night on the 1/3rd clay oval on Saturday, August 20th with a fast and tacky track. No. 57 Charlie Sandercock battled to the front to secure his second feature win on the season as well as the Campbellford Chrysler Driver of the week accolades. Photos by Rod Henderson, CanadianRacer.com
Brighton Speedway hosts a number of exciting novelty events throughout the season with the Gord’s Water Vantastics thrilling the crowd with ten competitors and their co-pilots. Del MacGregor in the No. 19, alongside Cindy LeClair secured the feature win on Saturday, August 20th. Photos by Rod Henderson, CanadianRacer.com