By: Nicole Kleinsteuber
Train Wreck and Sabotage smashed and roared leaving fans screaming for more at Brighton Speedway’s Monster Truck Madness event on Saturday night.
Driver Mat Briand in Train Wreck and Dale Eve in Sabotage had a sold-out crowd on the edge of their seats. They took epic leaps into the air and smashed everything in sight before Sabotage lost power and came to rest beside a parked school bus in the infield. Much to fans’ delight, Train Wreck punched on the gas and flew over the school bus and Sabotage.
The exhilarating race program presented by Hotch’s Auto Parts featured the Vanderlaan Building Products Late Models, Bainer’s OilGARD Anti Rust Canadian Modifieds, Brighton Automotive Thunder Stocks, Bills John’s Comp 4s and Quinte Septic Stingers.
Sopaz scores second win
No. 11 Kyle Sopaz wasted little time snapping up the lead from polesitter No. 55 Bradley Rayner in the late model’s 30-lap main event. Rayner fought hard as the pair sparred back and forth for the top spot. Sopaz dominated the high side through each turn as Rayner and No. 5 Steve Baldwin tried to overpower him. Sopaz sailed to the winner’s circle leading all but five laps to Rayner. No. 5 Steve Baldwin took second, Rayner third, No. 46 Brandon Mowat fourth and No. 57 Charlie Sandercock fifth.
Purchase picks up lucky No. 7
No. 40 Ron Wadforth led the field of 14 Canadian Modifieds to green in the 25-lap affair. Wadforth raced like the wind as No. 1 Shawn Gregory and No. 53 Wade Purchase muscled their way up on the outside from midpack. Gregory snapped up the lead but didn’t maintain it for long as mechanical issues forced him to the pits. That moved Purchase into the lead where he stayed cruising to victory lane for the seventh time this season. No. 2 Leslie Turcotte-Mowat was runner up with Wadforth third, No. 50 Dylan Boyle fourth and No. 32 Doug O’Blenis fifth.
Ramsay rides to 4th victory
No. 72 Doug Anderson and No. 85 Austin Reid led 25 Thunder Stocks to the green flag in the 20-lap feature. Anderson tried to fend off No. 03 Justin Ramsay from behind while Reid roared on the outside. On the third time by Ramsay slid into first. Ramsay, Reid and No. 0 Tyler French treated fans to a thrilling chase for checkers. Ramsay was fierce in his pursuit raking up a fourth win with French in second, Reid third, No. 48 Adam Wells fourth and No. 1 Brock Gregory fifth.
Checkers fly for Fletcher again
It took No. 42JR Aiden Fletcher three laps to slide into first place past No, 15 Josh Bogaard in the Comp 4’s 15-lap feature. Fletcher was bent and bound to get back to victory lane as No. 43
Devon Kippen and No. 44 Tommy Bailey chased him down. Fletcher crossed the finish line first with Bailey second, Kippen third, Bogaard fourth and No. 35P Paul Reid fifth.
Mutch makes second trip to VL
A full field of 23 Stingers were led to green by No. 79 Robert Jenner and No. 93 Jordan Pickle. At the drop of the green flag, No 41 Landon Mutch stomped on the gas and took two laps to get by Pickle for the lead. Mutch made his second trip to victory lane this season with No. 67J Josh Whiney in second, No. 17 Gavin Rushlow third, Pickle fourth and No, 12 Shane Vale fifth.
Coming up this weekend, Saturday, July 30th, the winged warriors return to the 1/3rd clay oval on the shores of Lake Ontario. The Southern Ontario Sprint cars will make their fourth appearance to Brighton to thrill the fans along side the Canadian Modifieds, Thunder Stocks, Comp 4’s and Mini Stocks. Gates will open at 5:00 pm, Hot Laps are 6:00 pm and Green Flag Racing starts at 7:00 pm.
Photos by Rod Henderson, CanadianRacer.com
1. Driver Mat Briand in Train Wreck and Dale Eve in Sabotage had a sold-out crowd at Brighton Speedway last Saturday. They took epic leaps into the air and smashed everything in sight before Sabotage lost power and came to rest beside a parked school bus in the infield. Much to fans’ delight, Train Wreck punched on the gas and flew over the school bus and Sabotage.
2. No. 11 Kyle Sopaz sailed to the winner’s circle leading all but five laps in Saturday nights late model event at Brighton Speedway.
Saturday July 23rd, 2022 Feature Results
Quinte Septic Stingers (12 laps):
1. 41 Landon Mutch, 2. 67j Josh Whitney, 3. 17 Gavin Rushlow, 4. 93 Jorden Pickell, 5. 12 Shane Vale, 6. 26 Chris Sparks, 7. 46 Adam Switzer, 8. 64 Chris Johnson, 9. 99 Alex Woods, 10. 30 Ryan Hill, 11. 03A Dillion Barker, 12. 67 Alex Patrick, 13. 95 Nicole Deveau, 14. 6 Tom Cole, 15. 29D Cody Easton, 16. 14 Kevin Mutch, 17. 7 Megan Golden, 18. 8 Curtis Sparks, 19. 79 Robert Jenner, 20. 27 Kendal Hase, 21. 9 Zac MacDonald, DQ. 87 Dawson Beaudrie, DQ. 28 Jay Brewer
Bill’s Johns Comp 4 (15 laps):
1. 42jr Aidan Fletcher, 2. 44 Tommy Bailey, 3. 43 Devon Kippen, 4. 15 Josh Bogaard, 5. 35 Paul Reid, 6. 22T Tyson Gregory, 7. 33 Adam Milton, 8. 85j Jordan Monaghan, 9. 22 Keith Dunk, 10. 20 Cody Sager, 11. 16 Dawson Evans, 12. 19 Shannon White, 13. 7 Anthony Rinaldi
Bainer’s OilGARD Anti-Rust Canadian Modified (25 laps):
1. 53 Wade Purchase, 2. 2 Leslie Mowat, 3. 40 Ron Wadforth, 4. 50 Dylan Boyle, 5. 32 Doug O’Blenis, 6. 41 Corey Halbert, 7. 51 Mike Freeman, 8. 09 Dan Price, 9. 4 Tom Swerbrick, 10. 14m Matthew Moore, 11. 56 Pat McEvoy, 12. 3 Nathan Rinaldi, 13. 1 Shawn Gregory, 14. 5 Wally Alderdice
Vanderlaan Building Products Ltd. Late Model (30 laps):
1. 11 Kyle Sopaz, 2. 5 Steve Baldwin, 3. 55 Brad Rayner, 4. 46 Brandon Mowat, 5. 57 Charlie Sandercock, 6. 01 Eli Mayhew, 7. 77 Caley Weese SUB JAMES SEYMOUR, 8. 21 Rich Sanders, 9. 33 David Vandertoorn, 10. 79 Rodney Beaudrie, 11. 87 Andrew Hennessy
Brighton Automotive Thunder Stocks (20 laps):
1. 03 Justin Ramsay, 2. 0 Tyler French, 3. 85 Austin Reid, 4. 48 Adam Wells, 5. 1 Brock Gregory, 6. 72 Doug Anderson, 7. 17 Jeff Humphry, 8. 88 Patrick Easton, 9. 9 Josh Black, 10. 18 Kyle Anderson, 11. 97 Dave Barrett, 12. 74 Mike Lucas, 13. 14 Chris Dorland, 14. 77 Adrian Hancock, 15. 87 James Turgeon, 16. 01 Kyle Gregory, 17. 83 Andrew Massey, 18. 28 Cole McKeown, 19. 23 Doug May, 20. 08 Angie Kirby, 21. 71 Rob Archer, 22. 19 Cory White, 23. 16 Kaitlyn O’Blenis, 24. 7 Ricky Phillips SUB KYLE DORIE, 25. 27 Torri Pope