BRIGHTON, ON- Brighton Speedway saw another packed and enthusiastic crowd cheer on the Southern Ontario Sprints for the second time this July and final time this season. The night presented by Electro Cables saw a total of 72 cars signed in for the evening’s action. Drivers in Bainer’s OilGARD Anti-Rust Canadian Modifieds, Brighton Automotive Thunder Stocks, Bill’s Johns Comp 4 and Mini Stock divisions battle it out for race night #14.
Another Fierce Presentation by Phillips
The last time the Southern Ontario Sprints made their appearance in early July, Kyle Phillips No. 21 earned his first ever career victory. Phillips was on the hunt for back-to-back victories at Brighton Speedway and he was able to do just that. The No. 11 of Jamie Turner and Phillips led the field to green for their 25-lap affair, Turner (No. 11) jumped to the early race lead. With only one lap down Phillips (No. 21) powered his way to the number one position and was not long until he was quickly manoeuvring his way through lap traffic. Phillips led all 24 laps of the feature event, Tyler Rand (No. 84) followed impressively in the runner up position with Cory Turner (No. 13), Jake Brown (No. 1-10), and Aaron Turkey (No. 68) rounding off the top five. Kyle Phillips (No. 21) and Tyler Rand (No. 84) brought home the evenings qualifier wins.
Three Perfect Performances in a row for Purchase
The Bainer’s OilGARD Anti-Rust Canadian Modified 25 lap feature was set to green by Dylan Boyle (No. 50) and Ron Wadforth (No. 40). The No. 50 of Boyle who had his debut to racing a couple nights into this season has been improving greatly each night out, he was able to hold off veteran racers for the race lead for five laps. The No. 32 of Doug O’Blenis made the pass on the outside to clench the race lead. It wasn’t long after the points leader and eighth-place starter Wade Purchase (No.53) worked his way to position number one. With each driver being on their game for the evenings feature the race went from green to checkers for one fast performance. Purchase (No. 53) parks it in victory lane for the third time in a row and eighth time this season. After motor failure week’s previous the No. 1 of Shawn Gregory piloted Wally Alderdice’s (No. 5) machine to second place, Doug O’Blenis (No. 32) third, Ron Wadforth (No. 40) fourth and Tom Swerbrick (No. 4) driven by Justin Ramsay fifth. Wade Purchase (No. 53) and Doug O’Blenis scored the qualifier wins.
Reid Rides it to Victory Lane
Tyler French (No. 0) and Mike Lucas (No. 74) led the field of Brighton Automotive Thunder Stocks to the green flag for the 20-lap feature event. The division points leader of Tyler French jumped to the early race lead with division veteran Doug Anderson (No. 72) hot on his tail. The feature saw a few features that stacked up and restarted the field, it wasn’t long before tenth place starter Austin Reid (No. 85) made his way up to the front to challenge for the lead. Just after the half-way mark Reid was able to make the high side pass for the number one spot. French and Reid battled it out until the checkers flew, with Reid (No. 85) finishing over French (No. 0), Justin Ramsay (No. 03), Doug Anderson (No. 72) and Cory White (No. 19) finishing off the top five. Brock Gregory (No. 1), Austin Reid (No. 85) and Justin Ramsay (No. 03) with the qualifier wins of the division.
Gregory Gains Second Career Victory
The Bill’s Johns Mini Stock division saw young rookie Tyson Gregory (No. 22) in victory lane for the second time this season. The 15-lap feature event was brough to green by Caleb Severin (No. 12) and Austin South (No. 72), with Severin jumping to the early race lead. On lap 12 heading down the back stretch, it appeared something gave in Severin’s right rear, allowing Cole Abrams (No. 96) and Tyson Gregory (No. 22) to get around him. Severin’s car got loose in 3 and 4 sending him around in front of the rest of the field, with a few cars being unable to avoid and getting collected in the caution. Once the field was brought back to green Gregory was able to make the pass on Abrams on the inside for the race lead and piloted his No.22 machine to victory lane for the second time. Caleb Severin (No.12), Cole Abrams (No. 96) and Carter Rhodes (No.18) bringing home heat wins.
Bailey Brings it Home for the Sixth Time
Bill’s Johns Comp 4 division was the final feature of the evening, the field of 10 was set to green by Shannon White (No. 19) and Jordan Monaghan (No. 85J). Third place starter and points leader No. 44 of Tommy Bailey was quick to jump to the race lead and led all 15 laps. The No. 43 of Devon Kippen was not far off Bailey, trying all he had to take away that first place position. Last week’s feature winner Aidan Fletcher (No. 42Jr) and Cody Sager (No. 20) battled it out for the third-place position with Fletcher successful over Sager, and Adam Milton (No. 33) finishing off the top five. Tommy Bailey (No. 44) and Josh Bogaard (No. 15) bringing home the division qualifier wins.
Next UP! August will kick off with Bellevue Fabricating Ltds’s and County Tire’s presentation of a complete race program including Late Models, Canadian Modifieds, Thunder Stocks, Comp 4’s, Mini Stocks and Stingers. This entire night of entertainment is valued at $15.00 for Adults and racing begins at 7:00 pm.
Photos By Rod Henderson, CanadianRacer.com
Southern Ontario Sprints Feature Results (25 Laps):
1. 21 Kyle Phillips, 2. 84 Tyler Rand, 3. 13 Cory Turner, 4. 1-10 Jake Brown, 5. 68 Aaron Turkey, 6. 11 Jamie Turner, 7. 11j Chris Jones, 8. 10 Mitch Brown, 9. 20 Braydon Cooley, 10. 42w Rick Wilson, 11. 9 Liam Martin, 12. 0 Glen Styres, 13. 98 Paul Pekkonen, 14. 81 Derek Johnathon, 15. 25 Warren Mahoney
Bainer’s OilGARD Anti-Rust Canadian Modified Feature Results (25 Laps):
1. 53 Wade Purchase, 2. 1 Shawn Gregory, 3. 32 Doug O’Blenis, 4. 40 Ron Wadforth, 5. 4 Tom Swerbrick SUB JUSTIN RAMSAY, 6. 50 Dylan Boyle, 7. 2 Leslie Mowat, 8. 41 Corey Halbert, 9. 14m Matthew Moore, 10. 51 Mike Freeman, 11. 3 Nathan Rinaldi SUB CARTER RHODES
Brighton Automotive Thunder Stock Feature Results (20 Laps):
1. 85 Austin Reid, 2. 0 Tyler French, 3. 03 Justin Ramsay, 4. 72 Doug Anderson, 5. 19 Cory White, 6. 97 Dave Barrett, 7. 87 James Turgeon, 8. 77 Adrian Hancock, 9. 18 Kyle Anderson, 10. 1 Brock Gregory, 11. 9 Josh Black, 12. 27 Torri Pope, 13. 28 Cole McKeown, 14. 74 Mike Lucas, 15. 7 Ricky Phillips, 16. 16 Kaitlyn O’Blenis, 17. 01 Kyle Gregory, DQ. 08 Angie Kirby
Bill’s Johns Mini Stock Feature Results (15 Laps):
1. 22 Tyson Gregory, 2. 96 Cole Abrams, 3. 18 Carter Rhodes, 4. 7 Anthony Rinaldi, 5. 54 Tim Moore, 6. 11w Mike Whyte, 7. 72 Austin South, 8. 25 Lawrence Evenden, 9. 87 Steven Hennige, 10. 71 Alesha Gerard, 11. 1b Bailey Ferrill, 12. 12 Caleb Severin, 13. 4 Chris Tufford, 14. 95 Chris Lammle, 15. 17E Evan Minnie, 16. 11F Adam Flieler
Bill’s Johns Comp 4 Feature Results (15 Laps):
1. 44 Tommy Bailey, 2. 43 Devon Kippen, 3. 42jr Aidan Fletcher, 4. 20 Cody Sager, 5. 33 Adam Milton, 6. 15 Josh Bogaard, 7. 85j Jordan Monaghan, 8. 19 Shannon White, 9. 35 Paul Reid SUB JERRY KIMMERLY, 10. 22 Keith Dunk