By: Nicole Kleinsteuber
The hottest night of the summer provided the perfect backdrop for an even hotter night of racing action at Brighton Speedway Saturday night. For the first time since May, all six of the speedway’s regular divisions hit the track with 92 cars dialed in for fiery side-by-side action presented by County Tire and Bellevue Fabricating.
Sopaz Scores Third Victory
No. 5 Steve Baldwin and No. 21 Rich Sanders brought the Vanderlaan Building Product Late Models to the green flag in the 30-lap main event. Baldwin was flawless as he dominated the high side on the hunt for his fourth win. After multiple restarts, Baldwin never lost his cool and continued to set the pace as No. 11 Kyle Sopaz charged from behind. With three laps to go Sopaz threw a slide job on Baldwin in corner 1 and 2. Sopaz cleared the 5 machine but when Baldwin checked up his car spun. Sopaz parked it with No. 57 Charlie Sandercock in second, No. 46 Brandon Mowat third, Baldwin fourth and No. 77 James Seymour fifth.
Purchase Pays 9th Visit to VL
Polesitter No. 1 Shawn Gregory was hooked up on the high side leading the first 18-laps of the Bainer’s OilGARD Canadian Modified 25-lap race. Gregory looked unstoppable even as No. 53 Wade Purchase muscled his way through the pack from eighth. On the 19th time by, Purchase slipped into first only to have Gregory snap it back. As the final laps clicked down the pair thrilled fans with a daring back-and-forth duel in the dirt. When the checkers fell Purchase crossed the line a mere nose ahead of Gregory picking up his fourth straight win and ninth overall. No. 40 Ron Wadforth was third, No. 51 Mike Freeman fourth and No 48 Derrick Greig fifth.
Ramsay Racks up 5th win
Starting fourth No. 03 Justin Ramsay wasted no time cruising into contention for the top position in the Brighton Automotive 20-lap main event Saturday night. Coming into lap five, Ramsay put the hammer down on the backstretch and took the lead. Ramsay rode to victory lane picking up his fifth season win with No. 1 Brock Gregory earning second, No. 0 Tyler French third, No 85 Austin Reid fourth and No. 17 Jeff Humphrey fifth.
Bailey in Seventh Heaven
No. 44 Tommy Bailey was determined to score his seventh win in the Bill’s Johns Comp 4 20-lap main event on Saturday night. Bailey slid into first on lap 6 with No. 43 Devon Kippen and 42JR Aiden Fletcher waging an intense battle for second in the rearview. Bailey never gave up sailing into seventh heaven. Kippen took runnerup, Fletcher third, No. 20 Cody Sager fourth and No. 15 Josh Bogaard fifth.
Dorie Drives to Winner’s Circle
Polesitter No. 12 Kyle Dorie proved he is the man for the job when you need a sub driver. Subbing for Caleb Severn following the birth of his son Cole on Friday (Congratulations Caleb and Jaden!), Dorie was locked in for the win. Dorie took the field of 16 Bill’s John’s Mini Stocks to green in the 15-lap event. No. 96 Cole Abrams was quick to grab the top spot and held it for 12 laps as Dorie battled back. Abrams got a little loose coming down the front stretch providing Dorie with the perfect opportunity to finish first. Abrams placed second with No. 18 Carter Rhodes third, No. 7 Anthony Rinaldi fourth and No. 25 Lawrence Evenden fifth.
Jenner Earns 1st Career Win
No. 79 Robert Jenner and No. 8 Curtis Sparks led the field of 20 Quinte Septic Stingers to green in the 12-lap event. Jenner took off at the drop of the green flag and quickly broke away from the rest of the pack. He led every lap and flew to victory lane picking up his first Stinger career win with No. 67 Alex Patrick in second. No. 07 Megan Golden was third, No. 93 Jordan Pickell fourth and No. 99 Alex Woods fifth.
Be sure to be at the track this Saturday, August 13th as Behan Construction presents the OSCAAR Hot Rods, Eastern Ontario Vintage Stock Car Club, the Northeast Late Model Alliance series, Canadian Modifieds, Thunder Stocks and Mini Stocks. Kicking off the night at 6:00 pm will be the 2022 Wall of Fame Inductions at the courtyard. Front gates will open at 5:00 pm and racing will begin at 7:00 pm. Admission for Adults is $20.00, Youths & Seniors are $15.00, Children 7-12 are $8.00 and Children 6 & Under are $2.00.
Photos by Rod Henderson, CanadianRacer.com
1. The Canadian Modified finish looked a lot like this as No. 53 Wade Purchase battled it out with the No. 1 Shawn Gregory right to the checkered flag at Brighton Speedway Saturday night.
2. Side by side racing action was the highlight of Saturday night at Brighton Speedway. No. 11 Kyle Sopaz battled for the lead ahead of No. 57 Charlie Sandercock for his third victory of the season.
Saturday, August 6th 2022
Vanderlaan Building Products Ltd. Late Model Feature (30 Laps):
1. 11 Kyle Sopaz, 2. 57 Charlie Sandercock, 3. 46 Brandon Mowat, 4. 5 Steve Baldwin, 5. 77 James Seymour, 6. 21 Rich Sanders, 7. 79 Rodney Beaudrie, 8. 33 David Vandertoorn, 9. 87 Andrew Hennessy, 10. 55 Brad Rayner SUB MARK RAYNER\
Bainer’s OilGARD Anti-Rust Canadian Modified Feature (25 Laps):
1. 53 Wade Purchase, 2. 1 Shawn Gregory, 3. 40 Ron Wadforth, 4. 51 Mike Freeman, 5. 48 Derrick Greig, 6. 2 Leslie Mowat, 7. 3 Nathan Rinaldi, 8. 32 Doug O’Blenis, 9. 41 Corey Halbert, 10. 50 Dylan Boyle, 11. 09 Dan Price, 12. 4 Tom Swerbrick, 13. 56 Pat McEvoy, 14. 5 Wally Alderdice
Brighton Automotive Thunder Stock Feature (20 Laps):
1. 03 Justin Ramsay, 2. 1 Brock Gregory, 3. 0 Tyler French, 4. 85 Austin Reid, 5. 17 Jeff Humphry, 6. 41 Ryan Lambert, 7. 72 Doug Anderson, 8. 88 Patrick Easton, 9. 19 Cory White, 10. 77 Adrian Hancock, 11. 74 Mike Lucas, 12. 97 Dave Barrett, 13. 18 Kyle Anderson, 14. 23 Doug May, 15. 16 Kaitlyn O’Blenis, 16. 14 Chris Dorland, 17. 87 James Turgeon, 18. 28 Cole McKeown, 19. 9 Josh Black
Bill’s Johns Comp 4 Feature (15 Laps):
1. 44 Tommy Bailey, 2. 43 Devon Kippen, 3. 42JR Aidan Fletcher, 4. 20 Cody Sager, 5. 15 Josh Bogaard, 6. 35 Paul Reid, 7. 19 Shannon White, 8. 22 Keith Dunk, 9. 85j Jordan Monaghan, 10. 33 Adam Milton
Bill’s Johns Mini Stock Feature (15 Laps):
1. 12 Kyle Dorie for Caleb Severin, 2. 96 Cole Abrams, 3. 18 Carter Rhodes, 4. 7 Anthony Rinaldi, 5. 25 Lawrence Evenden, 6. 4 Chris Tufford, 7. 95 Chris Lammle, 8. 1b Bailey Ferrill, 9. 17e Evan Minnie, 10. 17JR Ethan Humphry, 11. 71 Alesha Gerrard, 12. 22 Tyson Gregory, 13. 72 Austin South, 14. 87 Steven Hennige SUB COLIN CHISAMORE, 15. 54 Tim Moore, 16. 01 Scott Simpson
Quinte Septic Stinger Feature (12 Laps):
1. 79 Robert Jenner, 2. 67 Alex Patrick, 3. 07 Megan Golden, 4. 93 Jorden Pickell, 5. 99 Alex Woods, 6. 8 Curtis Sparks, 7. 95 Nicole Deveau, 8. 9 Zac MacDonald, 9. 30 Ryan Hill, 10. 03A Dillion Barker, 11. 64 Chris Johnson, 12. 6 Tom Cole, 13. 7 Josh Toon, 14. 67j Josh Whitney, 15. 12 Shane Vale, 16. 27 Kendal Hase, 17. 17 Gavin Rushlow, DQ. 46 Adam Switzer, DQ. 69 Andrew Whitney, DQ. 26 Chris Sparks