BRIGHTON, ON- McDougall Insurance & Financial and Comfort Zone Heating & Air Conditioning presented the final race evening of August. Just shy of 100 cars signed in to battle it out on the dirt as we approach the last couple points nights of racing for our weekly divisions. Kyle Sopaz, Shawn Gregory, Justin Ramsay, Devon Kippen, Cole Abrams and Landon Mutch bring home feature wins of the evening.
Sopaz Sails it into Victory Lane for Fourth Time
The Vanderlaan Building Products Ltd Late Model 20 lap feature event was set to green by Brandon Mowat (No. 46) and Kyle Sopaz (No. 11). For the first few laps of the event Sopaz and Mowat had a good side by side battle with Sopaz beating Mowat to the line each lap. With the event going green to checkers Sopaz was able to keep his No. 11 machine dialed in on the top side groove and space out his race lead. Fifth-place starter Adam Turner (No. 92) worked his way up to second, Mowat third, Brad Rayner (No. 55) fourth and Steve Baldwin (No. 5) rounding off the top five.
Gregory Gains Fifth Win
Nathan Rinaldi (No. 3) and Leslie Mowat (No. 2) led the field of 14 Bainer’s OilGARD Anti-Rust Canadian Modifieds to green for their 25-lap affair. Rinaldi jumped to the early race lead over Mowat, third-place starter Doug O’Blenis (No. 32) snatched the race lead from Rinaldi on the bottom. An early race caution was drawn on lap 5 for the No. 50 of Dylan Boyle who was around in turn 4. With the field being restacked and tightened back up, it worked to Shawn Gregory’s (No. 1) advantage. Gregory dominated over O’Blenis, Wade Purchase (No. 53) third, Ron Wadforth in his new No. 40 machine fourth, and Jeff Humphry piloting Wally Alderdice’s No. 5 fifth.
Ramsay Racks up Win No. 7
The Brighton Automotive Thunder Stocks had one packed field yet again for their 20-lap feature event. Cory White (No. 19) and Kaitlyn O’Blenis (No. 16) led the field of 23 to green, White to the very early race lead. However, it was not long until Justin Ramsay (No. 03) jumped to the number one spot. On lap 6 a caution was drawn for the No. 08 of Angie Kirby who was around in turn 4. Ramsay set his sights on obtaining feature win No. 7 of the season and was able to do just that, Austin Reid (No. 85) was not far behind in second, Adam Wells (No. 48) third, Doug Anderson (No. 72) fourth, and Josh Black (No. 9) fifth.
Kippen Keeps off Competition for Feature Win
Brittany Golden (No. 85) and Adam Milton (No. 33) led the small field of 9 Bill’s Johns Comp 4’s to the green flag for their 15-lap event. Being one of the first feature events of the evening, the Comp 4’s sure had one fast track for them, fourth place starter Devon Kippen (No. 43) worked his way to the race lead and was determined to park it in victory lane. Kippen did just that, with Tommy Bailey (No. 44) in the runner up position and Paul Reid (No. 35P) rounding off the podium.
Back-to-Back Feature Wins for Abrams
The Bill’s Johns Mini Stock division was led to green by Chris Tufford (No. 4) and Tim Moore (No. 54). The feature event almost went green to checkers with a quick caution on lap 13, tightened up the field of 16 back up for a battle for the win. Tufford led all 14 laps on the 15-lap event with Cole Abrams sneaking by on the lap that counts and steals the feature victory, Tufford second and Tyson Gregory (No. 22) third.
Mutch Makes it to Victory Lane
The Quinte Septic Stingers returned to the track after a couple weekends off, the very large field of 23 cars was started by Kendal Hase (No. 27) and Ryan Hill (No. 30). The race was put under yellow before completing a lap for the No. 79 of Robert Jenner who lost his RF tire down the straightaway. The field saw the red flag just before the halfway mark for Bruce Sparks driving Chris Sparks No. 26 machine, who was off turn 2 on his side. It was green flag racing from there on, eleventh place starter Landon Mutch (No. 41) parked it in victory lane, Alex Woods (No. 99) second, and Jorden Pickell (No. 93) third.
The month of September is the busiest and baddest month for racing at Brighton Speedway. Rock 107, Mystical Distrubuting and GForce presents the Ultramar Parkland Fuels Labour Day Sprint Car Classic double header weekend September 3rd and 4th. Saturday night brings the Knights of Thunder 360 Sprint tour, Action Sprint tour, Late Models, Thunder Stocks, Comp 4’s and Stingers. Racing will begin at 7pm, Adult admission is $25.
Night two holds the Knights of Thunder 360 Sprint tour, Action Sprint tour, Canadian Modifieds, Thunder Stocks (FINAL POINTS) and Mini Stock. There will also be an epic firework show brought to you by Mystical Distributing to commence the end of summer. Racing will begin at 6pm, Adult admission is $25.
There is limited camping available for the weekend, secure your site at https://www.showpass.com/camping-labour-day-2022/. Tickets are available online for both nights visit https://www.showpass.com/o/brighton-speedway-ltd/ to purchase them or tickets can be purchase at the front gate the day of the event.
Feature Results August 27, 2022
Vanderlaan Building Products Late Models
1. 11 Kyle Sopaz, 2. 92 Adam Turner, 3. 46 Brandon Mowat, 4. 55 Brad Rayner, 5. 5 Steve Baldwin, 6. 57 Charlie Sandercock, 7. 87 Andrew Hennessy, 8. 21 Rich Sanders, 9. 33 David Vandertoorn, 10. 79 Rodney Beaudrie
Bainer’s OilGARD Anti-Rust Canadian Modifieds
1. 1 Shawn Gregory, 2. 32 Doug O’Blenis, 3. 53 Wade Purchase, 4. 40 Ron Wadforth, 5. 5 Wally Alderdice SUB JEFF HUMPHRY, 6. 3 Nathan Rinaldi, 7. 2 Leslie Mowat, 8. 50 Dylan Boyle, 9. 14m Matthew Moore, 10. 33 Adam Whaley, 11. 41 Corey Halbert, 12. 4 Tom Swerbrick, 13. 51 Mike Freeman, 14. 48 Derrick Greig
Brighton Automotive Thunder Stocks
1. 03 Justin Ramsay, 2. 85 Austin Reid, 3. 48 Adam Wells, 4. 72 Doug Anderson, 5. 9 Josh Black, 6. 0 Tyler French, 7. 92 Adam Turner, 8. 41 Ryan Lambert, 9. 88 Patrick Easton, 10. 16 Kaitlyn O’Blenis, 11. 18 Kyle Anderson, 12. 01 Kyle Gregory SUB BRANDON GREGORY, 13. 17 Jeff Humphry SUB DEVON KIPPEN, 14. 28 Cole McKeown, 15. 97 Dave Barrett, 16. 19 Cory White, 17. 76 Cody Driscoll, 18. 7 Ricky Phillips, 19. 27 Torri Pope, 20. 77 Adrian Hancock, 21. 87 James Turgeon, 22. 08 Angie Kirby, DQ. 1 Brock Gregory
Bill’s Johns Comp 4
1. 43 Devon Kippen, 2. 44 Tommy Bailey, 3. 35P Paul Reid, 4. 20 Cody Sager, 5. 19 Shannon White, 6. 15 Josh Bogaard, 7. 85 Brittany Golden, DQ. 33 Adam Milton, DQ. 42JR Aidan Fletcher
Bill’s Johns Mini Stock
1. 96 Cole Abrams, 2. 4 Chris Tufford, 3. 22 Tyson Gregory, 4. 18 Carter Rhodes, 5. 54 Tim Moore, 6. 1b Bailey Ferrill, 7. 72 Austin South, 8. 95 Chris Lammle, 9. 25 Lawrence Evenden, 10. 17e Evan Minnie, 11. 71 Alesha Gerrard, 12. 3 Nathan Rinaldi, 13. 12 Caleb Severin, 14. 7 Anthony Rinaldi, 15. 77 Ethan Humphry
Quinte Septic Stinger
1. 41 Landon Mutch, 2. 99 Alex Woods, 3. 93 Jorden Pickell, 4. 9 Zac MacDonald, 5. 67j Josh Whitney, 6. 69 Andrew Whitney, 7. 12 Shane Vale, 8. 67 Alex Patrick, 9. 14 Kevin Mutch, 10. 27 Kendal Hase, 11. 07 Megan Golden, 12. 7 Josh Toon, 13. 03A Dillion Barker, 14. 28 Jay Brewer, 15. 95 Nicole Deveau, 16.64 Chris Johnson, 17. 29D Cody Easton, 18. 6 Tom Cole, 19. 30 Ryan Hill, 20. 8 Curtis Sparks, 21. 79 Robert Jenner, 22. 26 Chris Sparks SUB BRUCE SPARKS, DNS. 17 Gavin Rushlow SUB BOB CROUCHMAN